Call us now ! Send us an email Richland St Cola United States

Back to Top

Skilled Attorney Helping With Divorce Proceedings in Columbia

skilled attorney helping with divorce
The decision to divorce isn't one that couples come to overnight. In fact, it is usually only after years of compatibility issues that a partnership ends. The emotional decision can be traumatic for everyone involved, and the complicated process to file for divorce only exacerbates the situation. Paul A. Meding PA, Attorney at Law, understands the need for compassion, patience and understanding during such a time. As a divorce lawyer in Columbia, I have more than 25 years of experience in divorce litigation. Regardless of your situation, if I take on your case, I will walk with you every step of the way to help make the process as painless as possible.

Laws Specific to South Carolina

Most people don't readily know how to file for divorce, which is why I take care to help my clients understand the requirements. South Carolina recognizes divorce in the following situations:
  • Desertion
  • Adultery
  • Abuse
  • Lack of cohabitation for at least one year
  • Habitual alcohol or narcotics abuse
Should you and your spouse decide to part ways, a divorce attorney can help you to determine whether you should receive alimony, how to divide your property and assets, who will have legal and physical custody of any children, and how much child support should be paid. Sometimes families decide they'd like to try a legal separation to determine if divorce is the right choice. While South Carolina does not grant separation, a judge can provide couples with an order of separate maintenance and support, which details who will handle which responsibilities. I am experienced in handling these types of situations as well as contested divorces.

Get the Help You Need

Don't try to handle your divorce alone. Relieve some stress by allowing an experienced family law attorney like Paul A. Meding P.A., Attorney at Law, to assist you. I serve the Columbia area and can be reached at 803-779-0774.